If you have ever had surgery, you know how traumatic it can be. Now, try to imagine how pets must feel. At Sylvan Veterinary Hospital, we treat our pet patients the way we would want to be cared for by our doctors.
We have extensive safety protocols in place to ensure your pet’s safety from the moment he or she is admitted. In addition, we take every available opportunity to make your pet feel comfortable and secure—even while he or she is under anesthesia.
We understand that your pet will remember this experience for many years to come, and we want to make it as positive as possible. That way, when it’s time for a check-up, he or she will be happy to see us again.
Our veterinarians are experienced at performing a wide range of surgical services, including:
Soft tissue procedures
- Removal of foreign bodies, intestinal obstructions, and tumors
- Cherry eye
- Hernia repair
- Caesarian sections
- Skin lump/bump removals
- Fracture repairs using bone plates
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Cranial cruciate ligament (CCL) repair in knees using advanced TightRope Surgical Repair
- Luxating patella
Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery
This state-of-art surgical method dramatically reduces post-operative pain and enhances a pet’s rate of recovery. Our veterinarians use it to perform:
- Cryptorchid surgeries
- Urinary bladder stone removals
- Gastropexy procedures (to protect large-breed dogs from torsion bloat)
- Exploratory procedures
- Surgical artificial insemination
Entrusting Us With Your Pet’s Care
Sylvan Veterinary Hospital is one of the few veterinary practices in Modesto, California that has been certified by the American Animal Hospital Association. This certification is only given to animal hospitals that demonstrate an ongoing commitment to excellence in many different areas, including state-of-the-art surgical facilities, safe anesthesia protocols, advanced monitoring equipment, and compassionate nursing care.
Following are the specific steps we will take to ensure your pet’s safety and comfort while he or she is under our care:
- A pre-anesthetic blood screening will be conducted to confirm that your pet’s organs are healthy and it’s safe to proceed.
- On the day of the surgery, our veterinarians will give your pet a complete physical exam.
- A dedicated, fully licensed registered veterinary technician will be by your pet’s side to monitor and comfort him or her throughout the entire procedure and recovery period.
- An IV catheter will be used to deliver fluids in order to keep your pet hydrated, maintain blood pressure, and ensure good blood flow.
- Pain medication will be administered as needed to keep your pet comfortable before, during, and after the procedure.
- While under anesthesia, your pet’s vitals will be carefully monitored using advanced pulse oximeter, blood pressure, and electrocardiography tools.
- We will use a heated and padded surgical table during the procedure and an incubator or forced air heater afterward to ensure that your pet’s body temperature remains stable and he or she is kept warm and comfortable.
- When it’s time for your pet to go home, you will be given medication to help ease his or her post-operative pain, as well as written discharge instructions detailing your pet’s post-operative care.
The veterinarians and staff of Sylvan Veterinary Hospital truly care about the patients we treat. We will do everything possible to make your pet’s surgical experience a positive one.
American Animal Hospital Association’s process of accreditation is similar to what human hospitals go through.
Just wanted to let you know that Allie is doing great after Lap Spay on 4-10-12. Took her one day and she was back to normal. What a great way to get a dog spayed- I will recommend it to all my friends. Here is a photo of Allie that I took yesterday in our pasture with California Poppies. I thought it was cute! Thanks again!!
I have been taking my Beagle, Destiny, to Sylvan Vet for the last 10 years. She has had many medical problems throughout her life. There were times that I didn’t think she was going to pull though, yet, with wonderful Veterinarians like Dr. Tiffany Cardoza and Dr. Kipp Magnussen, she is still here with me today. I am grateful for their expertise in knowing exactly what she needs and for their compassion towards the both of us, in our hour of need. We are very blessed to know that compassionate help is always there. My deepest thanks and appreciation.
Sylvan Veterinary Hospital has been an important part of our family’s life for several years now. Most recently they helped to preserve our pug Sweetie’s vision with a new surgery technique. Everyone in the hospital works diligently to serve our needs. There is open communication with the front office staff, the technicians and the doctors whenever necessary. Our concerns and questions are always addressed quickly and the doctors are always available to us whenever needed.
Roger and Diane
What a great neighborhood veterinary clinic! I love the convenient hours and boarding facility. They have a nice, friendly staff and team of doctors who involve me in making the right choice for my pet.
I can’t say enough about the miraculous results you can get from laser therapy. I used it for my puppy’s foot wound that wouldn’t hold stitches. The wound was completely closed in three treatments-without a scar! Also, this pup has elbow dysplasia and laser has helped him quickly regain soundness when he played too roughly. And the best part- it’s not expensive. I’m a tried-and-true believer of this technology.
Lee Nudo and Jagger La Grange, CA
Eleven years ago, Dr. Kipp Magnussen saved the life of my young kitten and I was genuinely impressed with his compassion and competence. Over the years I have been extremely happy with the care all the vets and vet techs have provided for my various dogs and cats. In addition, it is a mark of commitment to the highest standards of quality medical care that Sylvan Vet is accredited through the AAHA. I continue to highly recommend this clinic.
Page Riskin, MD
We have been a client of Sylvan Vet for the past 20 years. Just recently, Bodie, our Chocolate Lab experienced a wound to his back that was quite serious. After two months of patience, determination and constant care by Dr. Kipp Magnussen, Bodie has been nursed back to health. Kipp's staff has become family to us. Each and every one of them is kind, friendly and compassionate! Bodie just celebrated his tenth Birthday and is even swimming again. Thank you Sylvan Vet!!
I love the doctors and staff at Sylvan Veterinary Hospital for the care and compassion they have given my dogs over the years. From luxating patella surgery to nail cleaning, the care level is the highest. I would recommend them to any and all pet owners.