One of the best ways to help your pet maintain his or her health is to come in for regular wellness exams. Not only do these appointments enable our veterinarians to give your pet a thorough check-up, but also they allow us to detect potential problems and address them head on—before they have the chance to escalate.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the many pet wellness services we provide and how they can benefit your pet.
- Complete Physical
- Our veterinarians will conduct a nose-to-tail exam, checking your pet’s skin, fur, eyes, ears, nose, teeth, gums, oral cavity, abdomen, paws, and more for any signs of trouble. We will also listen to his or her heart and lungs to ensure that all is well. Adult pets should have these exams annually.
- Pet Vaccinations
- Vaccinations protect pets from disease by building essential immunities. Our veterinarians will speak with you about your pet’s activities and lifestyle to determine which pet vaccinations are necessary for his or her continued good health.
- Fecal Test
- Puppies and kittens are dewormed during their appointments to remove any parasites they may have acquired from their mothers. Once pets reach adulthood, they should be tested annually. This is important for your pet’s comfort and safety, as well as that of your family. Approximately 20% of the fecal tests we conduct come back positive, and 3 of the top 4 parasites found are zoonotic, meaning they can be transmitted to humans. Our veterinarians will work with you to ensure your pet is receiving the protection he or she needs.
- Heartworm Preventive
- One of the simplest ways to keep your pet free of the most common intestinal parasites is through heartworm preventive. Heartworms are easily transmitted via a bite from an infected mosquito, and they are extremely difficult and expensive to treat. By providing your cat or dog with a monthly pet medication, you can protect against this deadly condition, as well as roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms.
- Flea & Tick Prevention
- These blood-sucking parasites can transmit bacteria and disease. Our veterinarians will discuss simple steps you can take to keep them off your pet and out of your home.
- Senior Pet Blood Profiles
- Dogs are considered to be senior pets at the age of 7. Cats reach this milestone at the age of 10. Our veterinarians will conduct a series of blood tests each year to ensure that your older pet’s organs and systems are functioning properly. Often these tests will reveal the early stages of a condition, such as a urinary tract infection, when no clinical signs are present. This enables us to treat your pet before the condition becomes more serious.
- Pet Dental Care
- By keeping your pet’s teeth and gums healthy, you can add years to his or her life. At each wellness check-up, our veterinarians will examine your pet’s mouth and evaluate his or her overall oral health. We offer pet dental cleanings, as well as counseling about at-home care, which will help to keep your pet’s mouth in optimal shape.
- Pet Nutrition Counseling
- Diet plays an important role as young puppies and kittens develop. It can also have a significant impact on senior pet health as well. Our veterinarians will evaluate your pet’s nutritional needs—based on his or her species, breed, age, activity level, and any ongoing health conditions—and advise you regarding which types of food are best suited at each life stage.
- Spay/Neuter Procedures
- Preventing unwanted litters is just one of the advantages of having your pet fixed. There are additional pet health benefits as well. Spaying females decreases their risk of developing mammary tumors and eliminates the possibility of uterine infections or cancer. For males, neutering removes the danger of testicular tumors and reduces the risk of future prostate problems. Sylvan Veterinary Hospital is one of the few veterinary clinics in the state of California to offer laparoscopic spays. This advanced veterinary surgery minimizes trauma, pain, and swelling and enables pet patients to recover in one to two days as opposed to one to two weeks.
- Ensure that your pet will find his or her way home to you. This quick and easy procedure offers a permanent form of identification that cannot slip off the way a collar might.
Discount Pet Wellness Packages—We are committed to helping our pet patients live healthy and happy lives. To assist our valued clients in obtaining pet wellness care, we offer discounted puppy care and kitten care packages, as well as golden years check-up programs for seniors. Please contact us to learn more!
American Animal Hospital Association’s process of accreditation is similar to what human hospitals go through.
Just wanted to let you know that Allie is doing great after Lap Spay on 4-10-12. Took her one day and she was back to normal. What a great way to get a dog spayed- I will recommend it to all my friends. Here is a photo of Allie that I took yesterday in our pasture with California Poppies. I thought it was cute! Thanks again!!
I have been taking my Beagle, Destiny, to Sylvan Vet for the last 10 years. She has had many medical problems throughout her life. There were times that I didn’t think she was going to pull though, yet, with wonderful Veterinarians like Dr. Tiffany Cardoza and Dr. Kipp Magnussen, she is still here with me today. I am grateful for their expertise in knowing exactly what she needs and for their compassion towards the both of us, in our hour of need. We are very blessed to know that compassionate help is always there. My deepest thanks and appreciation.
Sylvan Veterinary Hospital has been an important part of our family’s life for several years now. Most recently they helped to preserve our pug Sweetie’s vision with a new surgery technique. Everyone in the hospital works diligently to serve our needs. There is open communication with the front office staff, the technicians and the doctors whenever necessary. Our concerns and questions are always addressed quickly and the doctors are always available to us whenever needed.
Roger and Diane
What a great neighborhood veterinary clinic! I love the convenient hours and boarding facility. They have a nice, friendly staff and team of doctors who involve me in making the right choice for my pet.
I can’t say enough about the miraculous results you can get from laser therapy. I used it for my puppy’s foot wound that wouldn’t hold stitches. The wound was completely closed in three treatments-without a scar! Also, this pup has elbow dysplasia and laser has helped him quickly regain soundness when he played too roughly. And the best part- it’s not expensive. I’m a tried-and-true believer of this technology.
Lee Nudo and Jagger La Grange, CA
Eleven years ago, Dr. Kipp Magnussen saved the life of my young kitten and I was genuinely impressed with his compassion and competence. Over the years I have been extremely happy with the care all the vets and vet techs have provided for my various dogs and cats. In addition, it is a mark of commitment to the highest standards of quality medical care that Sylvan Vet is accredited through the AAHA. I continue to highly recommend this clinic.
Page Riskin, MD
We have been a client of Sylvan Vet for the past 20 years. Just recently, Bodie, our Chocolate Lab experienced a wound to his back that was quite serious. After two months of patience, determination and constant care by Dr. Kipp Magnussen, Bodie has been nursed back to health. Kipp's staff has become family to us. Each and every one of them is kind, friendly and compassionate! Bodie just celebrated his tenth Birthday and is even swimming again. Thank you Sylvan Vet!!
I love the doctors and staff at Sylvan Veterinary Hospital for the care and compassion they have given my dogs over the years. From luxating patella surgery to nail cleaning, the care level is the highest. I would recommend them to any and all pet owners.